LA VILLA DI CETINALE


Villa Cetinale was built between 1676 and 1678 by cardinal Flavio Chigi, to a design by the architect Carlo Fontana (a pupil of Bernini) to celebrate the election of Fabio Chigi as Pope Alexander VII.

The villa was never used for reception purposes, but as a private residence to which the Chigi would retreat for brief periods of repose.

The complex was built in three stages: the first, involving the construction of the villa, its outbuildings and the formal garden (1676-1688); the second, involving the laying out of the Tebaide park (1698-1705); and the third, involving the building of the hermitage (1716). The quadrangular building has three floors above ground level. The main elevation is characterised mainly by the elaborate double staircase that culminates in the large central marble portal on the first floor.

This is framed by two rusticated columns and surmounted by a heavily protruding triangular tympanum, topped by the Chigi crest.

The rear elevation consists of two avant-corps at the sides and a central section. At ground-floor level, this slightly receding section has three archways surmounted by a faux loggia with stone balustrade.

All the windows and the archways of the portico, which are brick framed, contrast with the buildings hewn stone corners. Large noble family crests decorate each of the windows on the “piano nobile”.   

The formal garden, which lies at the back of the building and is usually referred to as the "citrus garden", consists of geometrically designed flower-beds edged with box hedges. All the beds are adorned with sculpted peacocks and statues.

The remaining outdoor space follows a long straight axis marked by a low wall topped by marble busts. This axis, which begins with an exedra, continues along a cypress-lined avenue and, after crossing a monumental gateway, reaches the villa. The portal, embellished on both sides of the inside of the entrance by two niches with statues, is topped by obelisks and decorative sculpted busts. Beyond the villa and the formal garden, the axis continues as far as an enormous statue of Hercules, created in 1687 by Giuseppe Mazzuoli, a rustic stone colossus hidden in the wood, well away from the house. The Tebaide park was created in a wooded area to the north of the villa.

The park, which takes its name from a desert region of Upper Egypt, inhabited in the Middle Ages by Christian hermits, has a winding "pathway of penitence", with three votive chapels, stone crosses and numerous sculptures of kneeling friars. Connected to the villa by a steep flight of steps hewn out of the rock, known as the "holy stairway", the hermitage was added on in 1716.

This additional construction scheme accentuated the importance of the axis which was thus extended all the way up to the top of the hill. Cardinal Flavio Chigi left the Cetinale estate to his grandchildren, who retained the property for three centuries, until it was bought in 1977 by the English peer Lord Anthony Lambton, who carried out careful, conservative restoration work that restored Villa Cetinale to its former glory   

 
 
     

RESIDENCE IL PERO DI CETINALE - Località Cetinale, Ancaiano - 53018 Sovicille - Siena (Italia)
tel/fax 0039 0577 332490 - tel/fax 0039 0577 311146
- Mobile : 0039 335 8338803 - info@ilperodicetinale.com